How do I dispute an error with my servicer about my mortgage?

If you think your mortgage servicer has made an error relating to your mortgage loan, you can:

Call your servicer. They may be able to help you over the phone. See your monthly mortgage statement or coupon book for the phone number. To get certain protections, though, you have to write to your servicer.

Write your servicer a letter. If your servicer is unable to resolve your issue over the phone, you have additional protections if you put your request in writing.

Tip: You can use this sample letter to help you write your mortgage servicer about an error. This document also provides some additional information about disputing an error with your servicer.