What are FHA's requirements for registering "Doing Business As" names?

The “Doing Business As” (DBA) name is any registered name or alias that the mortgagee has a legal right to use. All DBA names used by a mortgagee for conducting FHA business must be registered with FHA.

The mortgagee must submit documentation from the state showing it is legally approved to use its DBA name, if the name differs from that shown on its Business Formation Documents. If the mortgagee has six or more DBA names, the mortgagee must submit a change request through the Lender Electronic Assessment Portal (LEAP) to add additional names.

The LEAP User Manual is located at:  http://www.hud.gov/lenders under the LEAP Information link in the Approvals & Renewals section.

Handbook 4000.1 I.A.3.c.ii; I.A.6.b.iv; I.A.7.d. is available at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/administration/hudclips/handbooks/hsgh.